Enterprise document management
at the office, at home or on the road
Using a variety of devices to access corporate files – laptops, desktops, smartphones and tablets – is quickly becoming the norm.
The collaborative nature of work in most companies requires users to share files with co-workers, partners and customers.
These trends have made file synchronization and sharing (FSS) a key requirement for most corporations.
SyncVault provides enterprise FSS services and helps companies tackle the demand for FSS services head-on.
This mitigates the corporate security risk of the use of consumer-grade FSS services within the organization.
SyncVault enables organizations to retain full control of their corporate data and integrate seamlessly with their authentication mechanisms.
It provide no-compromise enterprise-grade security avoiding the use international cloud services for metadata, encryption key management or user access control.
Document Management security
Files that may contain sensitive business details, financial information or customer data must be protected according to enterprise security policy and regulatory requirements.
Letting such files ‘leak’ into a consumer-grade file service may open the door for competitors, or put customer relationships at risk, and may even lead to legal liability, hefty fines and negative publicity. While some companies have tried to forbid the use of unsanctioned, consumer-grade FSS services, most understand that in order to address the need they must offer a sanctioned, secure alternative under the control of corporate IT.
Define rules specifying the type of data that can be synchronized through the SyncVault’s Cloud Agent and Cloud Gateways, or uploaded to the Web interface or mobile device.
Create DENY and ALLOW rules based on the following attributes:
- File Size
- File Name
- File Type
Each rule can be applied to everyone or to a specific user or group, whether they are Active Directory users and groups or local users and groups defined on the SyncVault Portal.
Cloud Drive content policy rules can also be applied to external users (that is, users who were invited to collaborate by email address or by means of a public link), by using a special group called “External Users”.
Cloud drive is integrated with McAfee Web Gateway and the Symantec Protection Engine. ICAP protocol file scanning ensures data protection.
Files can be scanned for malware automatically and transparently before they are downloaded for the first time.
If an infected file is found, the user who owns the file will receive an email notification indicating that malware was blocked and specifying the file name.
The infected file will then be quarantined, and the user may contact their administrator and request the file, if necessary.
When an external user is invited to share files with SyncVault users, they receive a link to complete registration for the service.
Upon clicking the link, is requested to provide the necessary details to complete registration (i.e. username, firstname, lastname, and password).
After entering the relevant information, the user receives another link to their e-mail address, in order to activate their account.
- Your administrator in parallel received email notification stating that the external user has registered for access to share files with your company.
- In addition, the administrator can define the validity period of invitations sent to users. If an external user has not registered for the service after the number of days specified in this field, the invitation will expire.
Using Document Management for collaboration
SyncVault offers facilities for defining projects, which are shared workspaces with specific access rights based on users and groups which are found in the enterprise directory, as well as external guests.
Projects can be centrally managed or self-defined and formed by end users without IT assistance. The latter affords organizations greater flexibility, improved organizational agility and reduced IT overhead. In order not to degrade into anarchy, these self-defined projects can still be managed by a corporate policy – regarding aspects such as which users can define projects, automatic storage quotas based on the project creator, and so on.
Users can easily collaborate on files and folders with internal users or groups, as well as with external users.
Upon collaborating on a file or a folder, the collaborators icon turns green to indicate that the file or folder is shared. To ensure security when collaborating with external users, the user can require a second step of authentication via code sent in a separate email or SMS.
Folder and file sharing enables users to:
- Collaborate on folders, sub-folders and individual files.
- Determine whether the invited internal team members can synchronize the shared folder to their PC or not. If synchronizing the shared folder to one’s PC is disabled, the invited team members will only be able to access the shared data directly from the portal interface.
- Disable re-sharing of a shared folder. By disabling re-sharing, the owner can prevent the invited team members from re-sharing files and folders that the owner shared with them, thus preventing data leakage. If the owner allows re-sharing, then the owner will receive an e-mail notification when a team member re-shares the file or folder. The owner view all users with whom the folder has been shared.
- Quickly resend sharing invitations to individual team members.
- Define whether the shared folder is a team project or not. If the folder is defined as a team project, the name of the folder owner will not appear in parentheses as a part of the folder name.
- View the name of the team member who performed the most recent changes to a shared file.
To ensure security, the portal administrator can define that shares generated via group collaboration will expire after a certain number of days, and that this expiration date is mandatory, that is, users will not be able to specify a later expiration date.
Easily track changes to and versions of files in both Cloud Drive and Backup folders. It is as simple as selecting the desired file and clicking on Version History.
- Review the various versions of the file and see who made the most recent changes to the file and file size
- Use the Online File View to preview earlier versions
- Download the file versions
- Restore a file to a previous versions
The number and type of versions retained are controlled by the retention policy associated with each users plan.
One of the stumbling blocks when transitioning to the cloud is, how to manage and provision your users’ identity and access privileges for the increasing array of cloud services.
IDSync provides application level user security, password synchronization and access management for both on premise and cloud based services.
It is accessed directly from within your existing Active Directory users and computers management suite.
Online Document Management
Users can view files online in SyncVault’s Web interface, the Cloud Drive, and backup folders. The files are displayed using a fully native HTML5 viewer, and no browser plug-ins are required. SyncVault’s Online File Viewer supports searching inside a file, as well as copying and pasting text.
Over 50 files types are supported, including:
- Document Formats: DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, RTF, CSV, PDF, ODT, ODS, ODP, and many older document formats
- Web Formats: HTML, SVG
- Image Formats: TIFF, JPG, JP2, GIF, PNG, RAS, CAL, MIL, DIB, BMP, PSD, PCT, PCX, DCX, PCD, WMF, EMF, TGA, and many more image formats
- Medical Image Files: DICOM
- CAD Formats: DGN (support for V7 and V8 DGN, including V8 XM and V8I), DWG (version 2.5 through 2014), DXF (version 2.5 through 2014)
- Email Formats: EML, MSG
- Other formats: TXT
Your users can recover deleted data from their Cloud Drives using the Recycle Bin feature.
When deleting a file or a folder either via the Web interface, or via the local synchronization folder, the deleted data is moved to a recycle bin. It is then retained in the recycle bin for a period of time (in days) defined in the user’s assigned subscription plan.
The deleted files in the folder then appear in gray, in a strikethrough style.
Replaces standard e-mail attachments with public links, recipients can use the link to view or download the files.
Users can send large files as email attachments.
Commonly, exchange servers limit the size of an email attachment.
Unlike email, your files are never sent in a non-encrypted format. If needed, you can delete or update files after they have been sent.
Document Management architectural overview
SyncVault’s FSS solution bi-directionally synchronizes folders to and from our secure ISO 27001 certified South African data centres, making files readily accessible on users’ laptops, desktops and mobile devices – also when offline.
SyncVault’s Mobile App integrates with its cloud file sharing mechanism and provides file access and collaboration capabilities from mobile devices including iPhone, iPad and Android devices.
In order to facilitate multi-user collaboration, SyncVault allows users to set up joint cloud storage workspaces (‘projects’) for sharing files with colleagues.
These project-specific folders support read/write privileges, allowing multiple users to share data and resolving any conflicts generated in the process. Folder owners can also perform ad-hoc file sharing using time-limited ‘invitations’ to selected users.
SyncVault seamlessly utilizes existing Active Directory or LDAP services for identity management and user authentication, including complex AD tree and forest topologies.
Enterprises avoid duplicate directory services, and benefit from rapid deployment and compliance with role-based access privileges. With client-side encryption, data-at-rest encryption in the cloud, and true multi-tenancy with separation of data, SyncVault provides a secure, private alternative to international public cloud services. Enterprises who need to rapidly deploy a FSS solution will benefit from the following SyncVault advantages:
- Data Control: Corporate data resides on highly secured and protected storage.
- Security: Data is encrypted both at-rest and in-transit with full control over encryption keys, proving security from the end-point all the way to the datacenter.
- Directory Services: Integration with existing AD/LDAP services and Single Sign On (SSO) mechanisms ensures that user authentication and access rights are fully compliant with corporate policies.
- Central Management: SyncVault offers a comprehensive central management dashboard that allows administrators to provision, manage, monitor and support individual service users.
- Access Performance: On synchronized PCs, users benefit from local access speeds and full access to their data even while offline. De-duplication and compression techniques minimize the amount of data transferred across the corporate network or over the Internet.
- Reigning in BYOD: Support bring-your-own-device mobile and tablet users, allowing them to access corporate data securely, with “sandboxing” that prevents other mobile apps from accessing this data and remote wipe capabilities.
- Integrated Backup: SyncVault delivers file sync & share as well as hybrid local/cloud backup from a single, small-footprint software client. Data residing on users’ PCs can be backed-up directly to the cloud, or to a local ‘cloud storage gateway’ appliance which later uploads the data to the cloud. Backup and FSS are also centrally managed from the same system, thus reducing both management overhead as well as complexity on end-point devices.
Start working with us
and everything starts to work for you
Our expertise and knowledge in the IT field allows us to select, bundle, integrate and deliver comprehensive business solutions.
With an end-to-end approach, we consult, design, migrate, implement and manage our solutions, and train your internal teams if required.
Certifications & Recognition
Our team of experts are trained and certified to deal with any challenge or regulatory framework whilst ensuring operational excellence.